Tuesday, October 6, 2009

BUTTONS

Buttons are treasures that touch all our lives
They're sown on a jacket or shirts without ties.
Their colors all blend on a fancy new dress
To help make you look like a royal princess.

So why do we treat them with so little worth
When buttons are used all over the earth?
Or maybe a lesson or two can be learned
From these useful treasures that often are spurned.

I think that the Lord who created mankind
Has a unique plan for each Christian in mind.
No matter how small or simple the task
The garments of Grace will be finished at last.

So next time you think your gift is too small
Remember those buttons and give Him your all.
Then with garments of praise we'll all take our stand
And hear the "well done" from His grateful hand.
--B. Pent

5 comments:

Charae Spafford said...

That is adorable, Papa! I never would have thought of an illustration like that. God has gifted you with being able to find simple illustrations for profound thoughts that really stick in a person's mind. I love you forever and ever!!

Spafford said...

Dad, This is beautiful! Don't forget that one of your treasured "Buttons" was Katy. Do you remember when you used to call her "Buttons"? I love you so much.

Connie

Tessa D. Silvas said...

Oohh!!! Mr. Pent! I LOVED this poem! I'll be printing it out in just a moment and perhaps gluing it to the side of one of my gallon jars that are filled with buttons. :) Oh, how I do love them!

Hope you are doing well, and staying cozy in the rainy weather you are having up there!!

Because HE is good, Tessa

K.R. Pent said...

(Per Con's comment) you called me buttons, Dad? I don't remember that! :-)

I like your poem, Dad. Glad you're back to writing poetry & just writing in general. It's one of the buttons God has given you to use.

Love you!
Kate

Benjamin A. Pent said...

Yes, I do remember calling Katy "buttons" when she was crawling and getting into everything! But, to be honest, I got my idea from Tessa's blog called "buttons & wooden spoons" and thought how important a little button is and thus this little poem. Thanks for your comments.