Saturday, October 24, 2009

THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT - Matt.5:10-12

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will also hurt me! In fact, they often hurt worse! That is why God puts gossip and slander along with murder and adultery. But how are we to respond to the persecution that Jesus outlines in the Beatitudes? Well, like any school teacher, there are times when a quiz or a test is important to see what we are learning and how we are progressing. I think that is precisely what Jesus has in mind in Matthew 5:10-12.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness...blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all manner of evil against you because of me." So why do we go through times of testing? Jesus makes it clear that these come to strengthen our faith (I Peter 1:7-8) It is God's refining fire! When we avoid testing, we infect those round about us and fail in the school of discipleship. Our surrender to Jesus Christ calls for a stand against evil. We are in a battle against Satanic forces that are out to defeat us as Christians and to keep the lost in his grip.

It is interesting that the word "tribulation" comes from the Latin word "tribulum" which was a threshing instrument separating the wheat from the chaff. Paul states in 2 Timothy 3:12 that "the godly in Christ will suffer persecution." God sends trials so that the chaff of self can be torn off from the pure grain of Christ likeness. So don't run from trials but as James 1:2-4 states: "consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance...so that you may be mature and complete."

Jesus concludes His Beatitudes (v.12) by telling us that we are to "rejoice and be glad because great is your reward in heaven." That is also how James 1:12 puts it: "blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life, that God has promised." So allow life's testing to make you more like Jesus and let His fullness be reflected through your submission to the will of God. It will be worth it all when we see Jesus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO true! Thanks for sharing - I learn every time I read such things. Sometimes I feel like, "oh, must save this, write it down, etc", but really if you just keep reading such things and focusing on noticing God's blessings this kind of learning will always be with you. Anyway, thanks for always commenting on my blog posts. :)

K.R. Pent said...

Dad, we've had similar things being illustrated for us this week, it seems. I wrote my post and then read yours.

Good post!

Kayleen said...

Hey Papa! That was wonderful.I find myself often tested with minor difficultys. But every time I pray for patients ect.... He always gives me practice. I love you!! Miss YOU!!!!!