Tuesday, May 4, 2010

UNDER HIS POWER

I'll never forget that moment in time! The full current of electricity surged through my body. I couldn't let go! It completely consumed me! I was holding onto the old donated commercial scrubber in bare feet while washing the concrete gym floor at church. The 30 feet of partially frayed cord was under water when suddenly it hit me. For several seconds my whole body felt like a power generator. Then, blacking out I let go. I hit the floor! It was a miracle I had no side affects when I awoke.

In the Upper Room, Jesus told His followers: "stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49). Ten days later a "violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting; all of them were filled by the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:2,3). Fifty days after Easter we celebrate that historic moment called Pentecost when the Spirit empowered Church was born.

Reflecting my own experience, reminds me of Jesus' words: "you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you" (Acts 1:8). While I tend to shy away from electrically charged wire I have no fear asking daily for His empowering control in my life (Eph.5:18) Today's Church needs a renewed exposure to His power. We are trying to operate with little or no current. The "Light" is growing dim! We need to reconnect! We need a fresh touch from heaven!

"Lord! Do it again!"
--B. Pent

No comments: