Tuesday, May 18, 2010

TAMING THE TONGUE

In his play, The Comedy Of Error, Shakespeare writes, "be not thy tongue thine own shame's orator." The real power to build up or destroy lies caged just behind our teeth. Jesus warns: "by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned" (Matt.12:37). One of the biggest obstacles to Christian unity today is the destructive power of the tongue.

The Book of James repeatedly warns about the right and wrong use of the tongue. "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless" (James 1:26).). Later, he adds, "out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing" (James 3:10). Like a fire out of control, the tongue can be so destructive. Untruths or half-truths spoken out of context divide friendships and destroy communication.

Like an uncontrollable monster, the tongue needs to be caged. David pleads: "keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies" (Ps.34:13). Later, he prays: "set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips" (Ps.141:3). If you want your life to bless others, make David's prayer yours: "may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, My rock and my redeemer" (Ps.19:14).
--B. Pent

2 comments:

Tessa D. Silvas said...

Hello Mr. Pent!

Thank you for the comment you left on my blog!

The picture on your sidebar is very pretty! I can't wait to come up there this year! I think we'll be up there later this summer sometime....Elianna (my little sister--she's 5) has already started packing her bags!! She is very very excited about coming up there. :-)

Hope you are having a lovely day!

Because HE is Good, Tessa

Anonymous said...

Papa that was pretty good thank you for the note that was sweet talk to you later !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Annie