Tuesday, March 2, 2010

MY EMPTY HEART

Why does my heart seem so empty
Even when life looks so good?
Why does the mist in my spirit
Garner control of my mood?

Is it perchance I am searching
For phantoms just out of my reach
For something to fill up a longing
That no one in this life can breach?

The pot at the end of my rainbow
Seems always to vanish away
Each time that I reach for a nugget
I find nothing coming my way.

Then a small voice seems to whisper
Like the sound of a morning dove
"Nothing compares with the offer
Of God's indescribable love."

So next time my heart starts to hunger
For something to fill up that space,
I'll always remember His offer
To give me His fullness and grace.
--B. Pent

2 comments:

Heather said...

I so wish I had your discipline to move right back into God's will like that! I seem to run farther away when I don't get what I'm looking for. It's hard to desire right when you are surrounded by people in the wrong who seem content! :) Know what I mean?

K.R. Pent said...

I think this is one of my favourite ones. It is honest about the struggle that doesn't magically disappear when one is born again.