Wednesday, August 13, 2014

COMMUNICATING GOD'S LOVE

(Through the lens of I Corinthians 13)

If I could speak with the tongues
   of impeccable elocution and oratorical perfection
   but fail to communicate
I'm a tool of confusion and a threat to dialogue.

Though I master the English language
   reflecting the eloquence of Cicero
   or capturing a breath of Shakespearean splendor
And though I have faith
   the mountains of verbal and non-verbal prejudice be removed 
   but don't lovingly communicate, I'll get nowhere!

If I share my knowledge with the ignorant
   and spend a lifetime delivering flowery speeches
   but don't communicate,
I haven't gained a thing.

Actually, communicating with people begins:
   with patience – learning the art of good listening
   with kindness – not rudely interrupting.
Never forcing your own ideas 
        or repelling the opinion of others.

Effective communication shows up:
   in accepting people for who they are
   in listening to what is said
        without making them feel stupid for bringing it up
And empathetically trying to understand their feelings.

Communication shows real concern:
   when someone else is talking
   is glad when a constructive idea is presented
And works toward a correct syllogism
     through a mutual exchange of ideas.

Communication involves:
   pooling all suggested ideas
   recognizing individual effort in the process
   being sensitive to the Spirit's timing in concluding the matter.

Real communication never ends:
   as for poor attitudes 
       they will hinder and break down communication
   as for catchy phrases or vague generalities 
       they will not hold up
   as for meaningless cliches – they will fade away.

My words, thoughts and actions since childhood
   are but faint memories now that I'm maturing
   even though I tend to see issues 
        through the mirrored reflections of selfishness
But with God's help change is possible!

Now I only piece the communication puzzle as I see it
   but in time I'll understand it better
   just as God perfectly understands
   and lovingly communicates to me.

So then:
   correct words may influence the mind
   and patiently sharing, can motivate the listener
   but only loving communication can change a life.
--B. Pent

2 comments:

Cosette V. Spafford said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Papa. IT's so beautiful!!! Its amazing how you can take a shapter like that and replace a major word, but the meaning is still there because it deals with the same idea. I love you, Papa!

Anonymous said...

That was wonderfully done. You have such a good talent that God has given you. I am so grateful for it and it is a way to reach out to others. Thank you so much!!! I love you so much Papa!!!