Friday, November 20, 2009

GIVING THANKS

I see the starving throng
Who have no food to eat.
I leave the grocery store
With lots of fruit and meat.
And yet, as night gives way to sleep
The question I repeat:
"Shouldn't I give thanks?"

The broken shacks appear
Where huddled families live
While I in comfort view
And very little give,
And still, as night gives way to sleep
The question I repeat:
"Why don't I give thanks?"

The sick lie in despair
There seems so little hope
With medication rare
The suffering cannot cope.
And then, as night gives way to sleep
The question I repeat:
"When will I give thanks?"

Thanksgiving's here again
As family members share
The blessings we receive
For those we love and care.
And so, as night gives way to sleep
This time I will repeat:
"Dear Lord! I give you thanks!"
--B. Pent

4 comments:

Tessa D. Silvas said...

What a lovely post! It is so true--often we look over our own blessings, and don't even take time to thank the Lord for what He has given us when others have so little.

Did you see my post on Thanksgiving?

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Be blessed, Mr. Pent!

Because HE is Good, Tessa

Anonymous said...

i love that poem it is so nice

i love it. we are going to be able

to go to Redding .

so how is your is your new dog

i can't wait till i am old

enough to go to your home then

i could go to you home.

love in
God the Father
God the Son &
God the Holy Spirit
Annie

Mike Pent said...

What a great reminder, Dad. "From those who have much, much will be required." If I don't recognize from whence it came, I reveal an attitude of entitlement.

Thanks for this great post.

Mike

K.R. Pent said...

I'm thankful for you, Dad, and Mom. Thanks for your faithfulness to each other and to our Father all these years! You're running well.