Tuesday, March 17, 2009

DARKNESS COVERED THE EARTH

I thought I knew what darkness felt like! I remember one very dark night after lights out, still being able to see my hand close to my face. Then one day I took an elevator down a shaft deep into the earth and with a guide, was led through a mile-long cave. The lighting along the narrow path was enough to keep me safe through its many passages. The beauty of the stalagmites and stalactites took my breath away! In the middle of our tour, our guide asked if we really knew what total darkness was like. Most of us nodded in assurance. Then she told us not to move around as she switched off the light. Its darkness was so complete I could feel it. I was not only stunned but also immobilized. I couldn't move! I dared not move! For the first time in my life I experienced total darkness.

Matthew 27:45 tells us that in the middle of the day while Jesus hung on the cross the sun-light was turned off and darkness fell over the earth. Everyone had to stop what he or she was doing. For three hours man was forced to stop, reflect and wonder. There is nothing to compare with life lived in total darkness. Earlier in His ministry Jesus made it clear, "I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life" (John 8:12). Hell is described as a place of "outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matt.25:3).

The crowds surrounding the cross were forced into silence during those three hours of darkness. Its parallel to the dark condition of man's sinful heart is striking. All the sins of the world came crashing down upon the Son of God. Even the Father had to turn His back on His Son! The agony of this separation forced Him to cry out, "My God! My God! Why have you forsaken me?" He took our sin upon Himself so that His Light could forever dispel our darkness.

The wonder of His cross should forever lead us into worship and praise and in Horatio Spafford's words sing out: "my sin--O, the bliss of this glorious thought, my sin--not in part but the whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!"

When was the last time you thanked Him for dispelling your darkness?

No comments: