Friday, December 10, 2010

I WONDER AS I WANDER!

My thoughts move once again to this incomprehensible mystery! I follow the shepherds from Bethlehem's hillside after hearing the announcement by angels of Christ's birth. I try to comprehend a virgin birth as I look at Mary's new born son: deity and humanity interwoven. He had no halo or visible marks of divinity I am aware of. Just a normal baby who cried, drank mother's milk, burped and needed wiping several times a day. Yet, He was God incarnate who pre-existed from eternity past: spoke the universe into being; created the world and everything in it; and even pre-arranged His visit to planet earth.

The pungent smell of an animal shelter disturbs my thoughts. I would resent spending even one night there! Where was the eastern culture of hospitality for traveling strangers? Was there no righteous family in Bethlehem available? Yet, even more disturbing is that God was coming to visit earth and all we offer Him is a dung infested stable.

It's Christmas time again and its mystery still boggles reason. Why is our King in rags? What is this covering of flesh? What was God thinking when He sent Jesus into this sin-cursed world? I sure wouldn't have risked it! Would you?

I guess the wonder of it all is that He did come. Wrapped in this indescribable Gift Paul talks about in 2 Corinthians 9:15 is the one thing every person seeks: LOVE. "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son" (John 3:16).

So I find myself once again metaphorically picturing God coming into this sinfully dung-infested heart of mine, cleaning it up, and living in it forever. Jesus stands at every heart's door and continually knocks (Rev.3:20) waiting for our response: "There is room in my heart for Thee!"

Why He chose me is a question I can't answer. That is what makes Christmas so mysterious to me. I am lost in the wonder of His grace as I continually rejoice in His great salvation. So should you be!

1 comment:

K.R. Pent said...

Beautiful, Dad!

Praise the Lord for His indescribable gift!